Thèâtre de la Huchette
Even after Eugène Ionesco’s death the "Spectacle IONESCO" lives on. The wit and the message of his plays can most intensively be experienced at his Théâtre in Paris’ Quartier Latin. Théâtre de la Huchette was founded in 1948 under the management of George Vitaly, to perform plays of Schehade, Kataiev, Bréal and Audiberti. In 1952 under the guidance of Vitaly’s successor, Marcel Pinard, permission is given to perform Genêt, Lorca, Tourgueniev, Ionesco and Tardieu at the Théâtre. Théâtre de la Huchette became Ionesco’s theatre. On October 7, 1952 (until april 26, 1953) the theatre for the first time showed the two plays "La Cantatrice chauve" and "La Lecon" one after the other. The 85 seats counting theatre took up those two plays again on February 16, 1957. Until today they are shown together without interruption. At the End of 1987 already the 10.000 show was given. 1979 Théâtre de la Huchet set a new world record: constant play of "La Cantatrice chauve" and "La Lecon" for more than 22 years. The record until then was held by Agatha Ciristie’s "Mausefalle".